Strawberry Shortcake can easily be cooked outdoors with a basic cake recipe and the use of a variety of strawberry options. The strawberries may be fresh, frozen, canned, or even stewed. The choice would be based on the type of outdoor adventure and the best storage and transport option.
Making your own biscuits outdoors is easier than you think. This is a quick and easy batter that is baked in a cake pan in a camp oven. Once cooled, you cut the cake into individual biscuits for serving.
The cake is a simple version using butter as the shortening. Some people like to assemble the shortcake while still warm. Or it can be done when cooler, so the whipped cream does not melt. However, if left too long after baking the shortcake tends to get hard fast making it unpleasant to eat.
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup salted butter
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 2 cups stewed strawberries or canned strawberries
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 1 9 inch (23cm) square cake pan
- Preheat the camp oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease the cake pan.
- In a bowl cream together the sugar and butter. Add the egg and vanilla then beat well.
- Combine the flour and baking powder together in a small bowl. Alternatively add the flour mixture and the milk to the butter mixture, combining well after each addition.
- Add the shortbread mixture to the greased cake pan and flatten with a knife or spatula.
- Place in the preheated camp oven and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked. Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Cut the cooled shortbread into 8 servings, then halve each piece.
- On the base of each serving add some whipped cream. Top with the canned strawberries. Top with the second half of the shortbread then add a second dollop of whipped cream. Finish with fresh strawberries.
More Strawberry Recipes
Dutch Oven Dessert
Strawberry Dump Cake
Dutch Oven Baking
Strawberry Danish Cake