Easy to make, these cream cheese cookies are soft with a rich baked flavor. They are perfect for a snack or hike treat. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have fresh baked cookies in no time.
These cookies can easily be made while camping or at home. They are great taken on your outdoor adventure, whether it is a hike, picnic, or camping trip. Packing them in a bag or box helps them travel well.
Cream cheese adds a different spin to this recipe adding both moisture and a richer flavor than similar recipes. Once made, they are great for other recipes like ice cream sandwiches and jam sandwich cookies.
Cream Cheese Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup fine sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- baking tray
- cooling rack
- Mix together the butter and cream cheese in a bowl with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Add the sugar and mix until well combined and starting to fluff.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract, then mix until smooth.
- Add the baking powder and flour in three parts, mixing well after each addition.
- When all the flour is incorporated, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the camp oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line the baking tray(s) with baking paper.
- Flour your hands, then take small pieces of the dough and roll them into 1-inch (2 1/2cm) balls. Place evenly on the baking tray with large gaps between them.
- Flour the bottom of a cup or similar the gently flatten each ball into a flat disk shape.
- Bake the cookies until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Check regularly as camp ovens have a wider heat fluctuation than a normal house oven. Or cook in your home oven to take on a hike, picnic, or camping trip.
- When cooked remove the tray and let sit for 1 minute, then transfer to a cooling rack until cold.