Small bites of salmon are marinated in a spicy-sweet-salty sauce, wrapped in banana leaves, grilled, and served alongside coconut rice. These banana leaf-wrapped bites make for a fun first course or appetizer. Involve your guests in the preparation by having them help wrap the fish in the leaves before adding them to the grill.
Non-edible banana leaves are used as natural packaging for grilling and steaming. They help to trap in moisture while also providing a bit of flavor to the meal. If you can’t find banana leaves at your market, you can substitute parchment paper or aluminum foil.
Coconut rice is a great side dish for this recipe. It has a light sweet-salty flavor that pairs well with the sweet-spicy fish. It also adds a little more substance to the meal, when you’re camping outside and super hungry.
Banana Leaf Salmon Recipe
- 2 tablespoons Slap Yo’ Daddy "Love Me Tender" All Purpose Rub
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¾ cup chopped mixed fresh herbs like Thai basil and mint
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless salmon filet cut into 12 pieces
- 3 1/2 cups Jasmine rice rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fried shallots
- 12 banana leaves
- pot boiling water
- 1 gallon plastic zip lock bag
- camp oven
- Add the fish pieces to the bag and refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat a camp oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- In a pan add the rice, coconut milk, water, salt, and vegetable oil, then place in the preheated camp oven.
- Cook for 45 minutes, fluff the rice, then add an additional cup of water and cover with foil. Cook for an additional 10 minutes or until tender.
To Cook Salmon
- Fold the other edge in and fasten using toothpicks on each end. Repeat until all the fish pieces are used. Chill the packets until ready to cook.
- Preheat a grill to medium-low heat.
More Salmon Recipes
BBQ Grilled Seafood
Herbal Smoked Salmon
Salmon with Dill Sauce
BBQ Grilled Seafood