Pig candy is a popular preparation of bacon or similar thinly cut cured meats whereby it is seasoned and coated in a thick layer of sugar. The sugar melts to create a candy-like texture with the salty meat inside.
The flavor is added through a barbecue rub. The heat is an optional extra via cayenne pepper but can be exchanged for chili powder or a hotter rub choice.
Once made the bacon pig candy can be eaten around the smoker, as finger food at a gathering, or as a travel snack. It can also be used as part of another recipe such as on burgers, sandwiches, or even a topping on a dessert.
Bacon Pig Candy Recipe
- Slap Yo’ Daddy "Love Me Tender" All Purpose Rub -Hot
- 2 pounds bacon (thinb or thick cut)
- 1 cup brown sugar (or as desired)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to personal preference)
- wire rack
- Preheat a smoker or camp oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Sprinkle the rub liberally on the bacon.
- Apply brown sugar to evenly coat both sides of the bacon. Tip: A lot of brown sugar caramelizes to give the bacon a candy-like taste and texture.
- Sprinkle some cayenne pepper to achieve a spicy pig candy if desired.
- Place the bacon on a wire rack then place the rack in the preheated smoker along with some apple wood to provide some smoke flavor. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes. It is cooked when the bacon becomes crisp. Serve immediately.