This homemade apple streusel pound cake is a tempting cake choice to take on picnics, hikes, and camping trips. You can serve this cake as-is or dollop it with cream, custard, or vanilla ice cream.
The apple comes from fresh fruit that is layered on top of the pound cake but under the streusel topping. Providing the sweet element, the apple combines with the cinnamon in the dessert rub to create a homely flavor.
Although this works with any apple the best results are from Granny Smith. It can also be made with pears if you are looking for more options.
Apple Streusel Pound Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup fine sugar (50g caster sugar)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (100g)
- 1/2 cup flour (50g)
- 2 teaspoons dessert rub or cinnamon sugar
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon dessert rub or cinnamon sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup fine sugar (200g)
- 1 cup butter (200g)
- 2 cups self-rising flour (200g)
- 9-inch (23cm) springform cake pan
- Preheat the camp oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease and line a 9-inch (23cm) springform cake pan.
Apple Streusel Topping
- Combine the sugar, butter, flour, and dessert rub together by rubbing it between your fingertips. Set aside.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples. Toss the apples in the lemon juice and dessert rub. Set aside.
- Place the eggs and sugar in an electric mixer then beat until light and fluffy. Melt the butter and slowly pour it into the egg mixture.
- Sift the flour into the egg mixture then fold in carefully until combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared cake pan, then carefully lay the apple slices over the top. Sprinkle with the streusel mixture.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the springform cake pan.
Dutch Oven Baking
Dutch Oven Dessert