It can be tricky to cook duck breast well, but it is done to moist perfection with the reverse sear method, then finished with a mild bbq sauce to glaze.
Reverse searing is becoming a popular way of cooking meat as it stops overcooking due to the slow rising of the temperature in the smoker then the extremely hot searing to get the finished browning with little impact on the doneness.
Don’t be tempted to use strong flavors in the rub or sauce otherwise, they can overpower the flavor of the duck breast.
Reverse Seared Duck Breast Recipe
- 2 duck breasts
- 1 teaspoon favorite sweet and spicy rub
- 1 tablespoon sweet BBQ sauce
- 1 chunk hickory
- griddle or skillet
- Preheat a smoker to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Add the chunk of hickory wood.
- Score the duck breast skin without cutting into the flesh.Tip: The scoring of the skin allows it to render easier without overcooking the duck meat.
- Lightly season the duck with your favorite rub.Tip: Be careful not to overseason as duck breast is delicate meat that can be easily overpowered.
- Place the duck breasts meat side down in the smoker and cook for approximately 10 minutes into the internal temperature is 120 degrees F (49 degrees C) or 10 degrees below your desired doneness temperature.
- Preheat a griddle or skillet for searing. Sear the duck breast until it reaches your desired color. As the meat is already almost at the desired temperature from the smoking, this final step will provide the additional 10 degrees.
- Brush with your preferred BBQ sauce then leaves to rest for 10 minutes.
- To serve, slice the duck breast against the grain and plate it with risotto, vegetables, or an appropriate side dish.