Pico de Gallo is a flavorful, fresh, and healthy meal accompaniment or side. Packed with tomatoes, onions, and a little bit of heat it adds a wonderful spin to a camp meal.
All the ingredients for this recipe can be carried whole and then prepared just before eating. Or you can make it at home and carry it to your camp pre-made. It doesn’t last more than 12 hours however before softening.
There is a little bit of time in preparing the ingredients with all the cutting but it is well worth the effort. The best results both in appearance and flavor balance are when everything is chopped to the same size.
Pico de Gallo Recipe
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 mild chili such as a poblano
- 1 bunch cilantro (coriander)
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Dice the tomato, red onion, and chili as small as you have patience for.
- Remove the leaves from the stalks of the cilantro, then roughly chop.
- Combine the tomatoes, red onions, chilies, cilantro, lemon juice, and salt. Let rest for 10 to 20 minutes before using to let the flavors develop.
BBQ Grilled Meat
BBQ Grilled Salad