Huli Huli is a popular Hawaiian preparation in this version it is on a whole chicken and cooked on a rotisserie. Once cooked it can be served with your favorite side vegetable or salad.
When cooking a whole chicken in this fashion be careful to take temperature readings on the thicker parts as they don’t all cook evening and it is possible to have well-cooked wings and drumsticks while the breast is still very underdone or even raw.
The Huli Huli marinade is scratch made with a pineapple base and then many Japanese-influenced ingredients such as soy sauce, sesame oil, and ponzu sauce. It creates a sweet but deeply rich flavor that complements the chicken.
Huli Huli Rotisserie Chicken Recipe
Huli Huli Marinade
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup ponzu sauce (Japanese Citrus and soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 whole chicken
Huli Huli Marinade
- In a bowl combine the pineapple juice, soy sauce, ponzu sauce, ketchup, sesame oil, Worcestershire sauce, ginger, garlic, green onion, and brown sugar. Combine well.
- Reserve ½ cup of the Huli Huli marinade.
- In a large ziplock bag place the whole chicken and the remaining Huli Huli marinade. Chill for at least 4 hours.
- Light the charcoal or fire to be used beneath the rotisserie spit.
- Remove the whole chicken from the marinade then truss the chicken so the drumsticks and similar don't flay around while rotating. Place the chicken on the rotisserie spit.
- Place the chicken spit over the fire and turn it on to rotate. The temperature is managed by either the amount of heat under the spit or how close the spit is to the heat. Either or both can be adjusted to create the correct temperature.
- Cook the chicken until it is brown on the outside and cooked through. For the final 10 minutes of cooking baste the chicken in the reserved Huli Huli marinade.
- Rest the chicken for 10 minutes before breaking it down to serve.
More Rotisserie Recipes
Rotisserie Chicken Gyros
Five Spice Glazed Rotisserie Duck