This is a camping variation of the American Ruben sandwich which has corned beef and sauerkraut. Our version is grilled over the open fire before being eaten.
Using the classic combination of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing on rye bread, ingredients can be substituted with what you have available. Or try other known variations such as the Montreal Ruben using smoked meat for the corned beef; Lobster Reuben, or Rachel sandwich that substitutes the corned beef for pastrami and sauerkraut for coleslaw.
By carefully managing the heat of the BBQ you can create a perfectly grilled sandwich as good as or better than what you would buy in a shop.
Grilled Reuben Sandwich Recipe
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon horseradish
- 2 teaspoons minced parsley
- 8 slices rye bread
- butter as needed
- 4 slices Swiss or cheddar cheese
- 4 slices corned beef or roasted beef
- 1 cup sauerkraut drained
- Combine mayonnaise, ketchup, onions, Worcestershire, horseradish, and parsley, then mix well.
- Divide the bread into pairs, then butter the outside.
- Open the bread pairs then spread with the Russian dressing.
- Add the cheese, beef, and drained sauerkraut, then close the sandwiches.
- On a medium-low to low heat GrillGrates, add the sandwich and cook until grill marks form, then turn and cook the other side. Eat while still hot.