This rib recipe uses a homemade rub that is infused with coffee. It helps create an intense bark on these low-and-slow smoked beef ribs. The coffee also enhances the earthy and beefy flavor of the ribs.
Although this recipe is cooked in a smoker, you can also use a grill setup for low and slow cooking, a Dutch oven, or cook them in your camp oven. The meat just needs a constant low temperature to cook for the correct end result.
Unlike other ribs, beef ribs have a lot of meat on them. This means there is the serving option of either on the bone or to remove the bone and slice to serve. They can be served with traditional barbecue sides or a light salad.
Smoked Coffee Beef Ribs Recipe
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 2 tablespoons ground coffee
- 1 rack beef ribs (4 bones)
- 1 can beer
- 2 chunks grapevine wood or similar strong wood
- Combine the salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and ground coffee to make the rub.
- Preheat a smoker to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Add 2 chunks of grapevine wood.
- Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs to allow the rub and smoke flavors to penetrate the meat.
- Place the ribs in a preheated smoker and cook for 90 minutes to 3 hours.
- When the beef ribs have the color you are looking for, wrap them in foil with a little beer. This continues the cooking process without making the ribs too dark or drying out in the smoke.
- Place the wrapped beef ribs on the smoker and cook for another 90 minutes to 3 hours, until they reach an internal temperature of about 195 degrees F (90 degrees C) or a skewer pokes into them with resistance like soft butter.Tip: Not all meats are ‘done’ and the same temperature due to differences in beef types and grades, and even between cows. Use the temperature and time to guide you, but the tenderness will tell you when it is ultimately done.
- Remove the foil-wrapped ribs from the smoker and rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice the ribs into single bone portions to serve.
More Beef Rib Recipes
Hanging Smoked Beef Ribs
Smoked Beef Short Ribs