Butterscotch sauce is a very simple dessert sauce that can be made in a skillet or frying pan over any source of heat.
When camping, I like to use this over cakes or baked desserts along with fruits.
Be careful to manage the heat well as the sugar can burn. If this happens there is no recovery, you will need to start again.
Butterscotch Sauce Recipe
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (thickened heavy cream)
- skillet or frying pan
- Melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the brown sugar and stir until it starts to bubble. By this time all the sugar should be dissolved and the mixture no longer gritty.
- Stir in the cream and bring it to the point where it is just starting to bubble.
- The butterscotch sauce can be served warm or cold, as desired.
More Sweet Sauce
BBQ Grilled Dessert
Grilled Peach with Brandy Sauce