The ultimate breakfast sandwich, sausage, bacon, eggs, and cheese are grilled and then placed between a cinnamon bagel. This breakfast is both sweet and savory and packed with protein.
This breakfast is great when you’re camping outdoors and have access to a grill or open fire. It also works well if you’re cooking indoors or in your backyard. While it’s meant for breakfast, it also makes a great lunch sandwich, whether you’re eating it hot or preparing it ahead of time.
Experiment with the types and flavors of cheese and bagels, to get the exact combination you love. If you like your sandwich less sweet, omit the syrup or honey and use a plain or seeded bagel.
Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
- 1 pound maple sausage
- 1 ounce maple syrup or local honey optional
- 1 pound bacon
- 8 eggs
- 8 cinnamon swirl bagels sliced
- 8 slices cheese of choice
- cast iron skillet
- Remove the sausages from their casings and place them in a bowl. Mix in syrup or honey, if using.
- Divide the sausage into 8 equal balls, then flatten them with the palm of your hand.
- Stick your finger in the middle of the sausage patty to make a hole, turning the sausage patty into a sausage doughnut.
- Place the sausage doughnuts on the grill along with the bacon (if you use GrillGrates you can lay your bacon right on them but if not use a pan so you don’t lose any of this goodness). Once the sausage is done, place it in a pre-heated cast iron skillet.
- Crack one egg into each doughnut and let cook until your level of doneness (all the way or runny).
- While the eggs are cooking, toss your bagels on the grill to crisp up a little and add some grill marks.
- Once your eggs are done, place your cheese on them to slightly melt, then start assembling your breakfast sandwich.