A leg of lamb is traditionally roasted but this smoked version is moist, tasty, and totally worth trying. Smoking lamb offers another flavorsome way to prepare this meat.
There are limited commercial lamb rubs available so to get the best flavor out of the lamb this recipe includes a custom rub that has a lot more focus on the herbs than those rubs used on other meats.
Once cooked the lamb can be used as a main served with vegetables, or sliced thin and served in a taco with a parsley salad (tabbouleh). The lamb may be bone-in or have the bone-out, depending on what is available for you to buy.
Smoked Leg of Lamb Recipe
Lamb Herb Rub
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic (not powder)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 pound leg of lamb (boned or bone in)
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 chunks fruitwood (apple and/or cherry)
Lamb Herb Rub
- In a small bowl combine the salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, rosemary, sugar, and paprika. Stir until well combined.
- Preheat a smoker to 250 degrees F (121 degrees C). Add two pieces of fruitwood.
- Check the lamb, remove any large pieces of fat or silver skin to expose the meat to apply the rub.
- Rub a thin layer of mustard over the lamb. Sprinkle the lamb herb rub evenly over the whole piece of meat.
- Place the lamb in the preheated smoker. Smoke for 4 hours or until the internal temperature is 150 degrees F (65 degrees C).
- Rest the lamb for 10 minutes then slice and serve.
BBQ Grilled Meat
Dutch Oven One Pot Meals