We all love a cold refreshing drink of lemonade while outdoors. But if you are getting a little tired of the traditional style, add a spin with this grilled version!
The lemons are grilled before being squeezed giving them a great sweetness and the lemonade a caramelized sweet flavor. Another twist in this recipe is the addition of mint, but we have also seen rosemary used.
Once trying this it will be hard to go back to the traditional style! You might have to set up a lemonade stand in your neighborhood.
Grilled Lemonade Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 sprigs mint
- 15 lemons halfed
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups water
- 8 sprigs mint
- additional ice
- In a saucepan over the grill add the water, honey, and mint. Stir to combine then leave to simmer.
- Cut each lemon slightly off center, then cut a lemon slice from the larger side. When finished you will have two equally sized lemon ‘halves’ and a lemon slice. Continue this for all the lemons.
- Place the sugar in a shallow bowl, dip each lemon half face down in the sugar then place it on the grill. Continue cooking until there are pleasant grill marks.
- Tip the residual sugar into the simple syrup and stir to dissolve.
- Juice all the lemons then pour the liquid into a large serving jug or similar.
- Add the simple syrup to the lemon juice.
- Add the 4 cups of water and ice, then stir to combine.
- Three or four juiced lemon halves can be added to the jug.
- Pour a glass of lemonade, add extra ice, then garnish with the lemon slice created above when cutting the lemons (this can be grilled or not) and a small sprig of mint.
Dutch Oven Main Dish